Monday, October 16, 2006

Identity crisis... sort of.

I stopped wearing my watch a while ago.

I don't remember what the circumstances were. It was probably a very practical change--maybe it was causing physical discomfort--because it's always been for practical reasons that I've worn a watch. I like to think that I'm a punctual person ("punctual" here reads as "absolutely obsessive about time"), and it used to be a catastrophe waiting to happen any day I didn't wear my watch. But I haven't worn it since. And it's been weeks.

It's true that my watch isn't my only source of time anymore, so it's less of a big deal. I can check the time on my phone whenever I want. Still, though, it's the principle of the matter. I'm not a watch-wearer anymore. I don't wear a watch.

I feel like it's made me some sort of hippie, some sort of Non-Caring-About-Time Guy, a person unfettered by time or restraints of any sort. I'm worried. Next I'm going to grow a goatee, probably, and stop wearing shoes. And start caring a lot more about whales.

And the problem is I like not wearing my watch.

1 comment:

LJ said...

Props for the definition reference...Mr. Snicket would be proud. Also, the thought of you turning into a hippie whale-saver makes me laugh. A lot.