Wednesday, December 20, 2006

I am a mortal... and liable to fall.

They walked along the road, Scrooge recognising every gate, and post, and tree; until a little market-town appeared in the distance, with its bridge, its church, and winding river. Some shaggy ponies now were seen trotting towards them with boys upon their backs, who called to other boys in country gigs and carts, driven by farmers. All these boys were in great spirits, and shouted to each other, until the broad fields were so full of merry music, that the crisp air laughed to hear it!

“These are but shadows of the things that have been,” said the Ghost.


I had a truly transcendent experience a couple of days ago. I think it will be hard to explain, but here goes.

We had a ward activity catered by the Cannon Center, and so as the financial clerk it became my duty to pick up the bill from the Cannon Center and enter it into the computer before I left town. Going into the Cannon Center again, though, really struck me as strange. I spent a lot of time there my freshman year, and stepping in there again was like stepping five years back in time.

I didn't see anybody I knew as I walked through the cafeteria--I wouldn't, I don't know any freshmen--but it was still the same groups, made up of the same people. I had only good memories associated with the place, and especially with Christmastime in Helaman Halls. I had time then, and I played a lot and didn't worry about careers and futures and girls and those kinds of things. It was a peaceful time. Perhaps a more innocent time. It was as though I had been visited by the Ghost of Christmas Past.

I don't wish I had it back, necessarily. But it was a pleasant set of memories to reflect on.

No comments: