Thursday, August 16, 2007

Kinko's, a surprise friend, and me.

I went to Kinko's last night, around 1:30 AM.

I prefer going to Kinko's in the middle of the night—you don't have to wait for your stuff, the person behind the counter is willing to help, and sometimes they let you use the saddle-stitch stapler yourself. On this particular visit I had some portfolios cut, and went to find some counter space to settle down with said stapler. I assumed I was, as usual, alone in the store. If I was, it wouldn't be making an interesting story now.

This Kinko's had a somewhat different layout than other locations I'd been to. The counter, featuring friendly sales representatives, is on the left when you walk in. To the right are the self-service printers and copiers, and then around a corner, out sight of the staff members, is a bank of desks for plugging in laptops. And at the last desk I found my friend. A hobo, sleeping.

It was actually a female hobo (hoba). She had her head down on the desk and seemed to be sound asleep. She stood a good chance of not being discovered, because (a) she was quiet, and (b) the staff people probably didn't have any reason to go looking back there. Kinko's was probably a pretty good place to spend the night—it was a pleasant temperature, and soft music was playing. I actually enjoyed that this particularly hobo had found such a good, clean place... it's nice to see a hobo who takes pride in their work (hobo pride = hobris).

I didn't turn her in or anything. The last thing you want is to be blacklisted with the hobo community.

(gratuitous hobo picture)

4 comments:

andrea kay said...

I have gone to the Kinko's in Utah at night and they give me really slow service. Apparently that is when they process all their orders, and they get mad when people come in to purchase their services. Weird.
However, last time I went there was a cute guy there, so the wait wasn't so bad. Shallow, I know.

becca said...

hoba?! hobris?! hahahahahahahahahahhahahahahaahahahahahahahahahaha

Brooklyn said...

I totally saw a hobo with that sign over spring term. YAY. Also, hobris?? I'm with Becca on this one.

austinmcraig said...

Bravo on hobris, and not turning her in.