Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Neither shaken nor stirred, exactly

After a long weekend at home in lovely Bakersfield, we drove back to the Bay Area yesterday. "We" in this instance is a word that means me, my sister, and the new puppy. I drove the first half of the trip, so I stopped in Santa Nella where I always stop. At the same Carl's Jr. that I always stop at. And I went in and got the same Oreo milkshake that I get every time.

There's a new trend in shakes, though, and it's to put whipped cream on top, and a funky round lid. I quote from a Jack in the Box press release:
Jack’s new shake style, which also features a clear plastic cup with a dome-shaped lid to contain a heaping serving of whipped topping, is available with all of Jack’s famous shake flavors...
I've gotten the dome-shaped lid a couple of times, and I don't like it one bit. I wish I had a better picture to put in, so you could see what I'm talking about if you haven't already. Since they mix the shake right in the cup, the hole in the top is really big. Since I'm in the car, though, I prefer (1) a homogeneous milkshake, and (2) a cup that won't spill everywhere if it happens to tip.

So I asked the girl. "Can you just put it in a normal cup, that I can put a normal lid on?" She seem confused, but more by why I wasn't happy with the standard cup than with the mechanics of what I was saying. It did turn out to be a logistics problem for her, though--procedure is to put the cup on a scale and weigh the amount of ice cream that you put in, and then eyeball the remaining ingredients against how full the cup is. She ended up asking her manager how to do it in the other kind of cup, which is a different size. This manager, though, was the kind of thinker that we normally reserve for higher callings, like filing. Mix it in the original cup, she said, and then poor it into the other cup. It was terrific. All were edified, and rejoiced together.

Maybe I'm just anal, because I like my shake in a cup with a flat lid that keeps the shake in.

1 comment:

becca said...

wahoo. now i have someone else to link on my blog.