Saturday, August 05, 2006

The newest member of the family

My sister got a puppy today. A Boston Terrier... six weeks old, and about the most adorable thing ever. I'm even willing to take the flak for calling it "adorable," because it'll grow up to be a pretty macho dog, despite being a girl--muscular, and blunt (in shape). No fluffiness or froofiness here.

This is a real photo now, and she has a name- Zoe. She weighs 4 pounds, and apparently 3 pounds of that is urine at any given time.

I think dogs are pretty much the greatest thing. They have the ability to love unconditionally. They're just pleased that you're alive. And everything is a great idea, whether it be getting in the car, eating, going outside, whatever. They let you be the smart one, and then they thank you for it all the time.

I think one secret to success is to get a dog that isn't all that smart. Really smart dogs, like a Border Collie, always have to be doing something (say, herding sheep), and they get to be a lot of work--but a dog a little further down the totem pole is just pleased as punch to sleep for most of the day. That's a good pet, right there.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Yes, but is it the size, shape, and weight of a brick? Can it curl up next to you and fall asleep?

...that's actually all I can remember about your previous dog. I always envisioned it as a furry brick with legs.

rogeber said...

I should clarify that the brickesque dog is still around. He lives at home in Bakersfield, which is also coincidentally where I am at the moment. But this is my sister's puppy, that's headed back up to the Bay Area with us.

And it's still reasonably like a brick, though less so than Artie.

Krista said...

You have inspired me. Expect a post on dogs allowed to be cute because they'll someday be macho from me in the nearish future. Man, I love this story.

austinmcraig said...

Then Austin said unto Rog, Almost thou persuadest me to be a dog-lover.