Friday, August 11, 2006

Two by two, as seemeth them good

I moved up here to Alameda in the last week or two of June. The ward seemed happy to have me--I met the Elder's Quorum President right away, and they seemed eager to get me involved. That was fine... I was willing.

So yesterday (note the significant time lapse) I got a home teaching route. I know that it's difficult to keep routes up to date--keeping those lists was my calling this past year--but it's not like they didn't know I was just here for the summer, either. In fact, that was the first thing the guy asked when he called me to give the assignment. I assured him that I only had a week and a half left, but that I'd be happy to make one visit or whatever before taking off.

Then he told me that I'd been assigned to visit a girl who was brand new in the ward, and that my companion, curiously, lives in Sacramento (not close). I think he realized when telling me that it's kind of pointless to have someone visit a new person once and then leave, so that still nobody knows the new person, and she has to have a brand new home teacher come again the next month. He then volunteered to come with me, so I guess the problem is solved.

Isn't that a terrific picture, by the way? Doesn't it make this whole thing feel like a Church manual? I think it really transforms the page. It contrasts neatly with my Freecell-man avatar, too.

Anyway, that's my hometeaching story. I called the girl, and fortunately she was willing to have us come before I leave.

No comments: