Monday, January 29, 2007

Focused.

We're starting focus groups for 489 tomorrow. This presents an excellent opportunity to tell my story about being a participant in a focus group.

I was in a relationship at the time, and was walking across campus holding hands with my significant other. We were stopped, somewhat awkwardly, by a guy who observed that we appeared to be in a relationship, and asked if we would participate in a focus group. We agreed--there were free movie tickets on the line.

When we arrived, we were taken into separate focus groups with others of our same gender. And once there, the focus group turned out to be about shopping for engagement rings. She and I were certainly not yet that far along in our relationship, and the problem of choosing the right jeweler was not one that had ever crossed my mind. While the other guys told about ring shopping, I had nothing to contribute. And I felt really, really awkward, the whole time.

But in the end, it wasn't a total loss. At least I got the free movie tickets.

5 comments:

rogeber said...

What a cool comment.

becca said...

awkward...

Emily said...

Oh, that is awkward.

(Also, when I read this post, I could totally imagine you telling the story. It was complete with your end-of-story smile that you have. Random.)

libby said...

probing. that is the word for your focus group. they probed my brain. figuratively.

Jessica said...

Gee, I can't imagine how awkward that could have been! I wonder if the girl thought it was totally bizarre, too... ;)